BEFORE TAKING A BLOOD PRESSURE MEASUREMENT :
To ensure a reliable reading follow these recommendations:
1. Avoid eating, drinking alcohol, smoking, exercising, and bathing for 30 minutes prior to taking a measurement. Rest for at least 15 minutes prior to taking the measurement.
2. Stress raises blood pressure. Avoid taking measurements during stressful times.
3. Measurements should be taken in a quiet place.
4. Remove tight-fitting clothing from your arm.
5. Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Rest your arm on a table so that the cuff is at the same level as your heart.
6. Remain still and do not talk during the measurement.
7. Keep a record of your blood pressure and pulse readings for your physician. A single measurement may not provide an accurate indication of your true blood pressure. You need to take and record several readings over a period of time. Try to measure your blood pressure at about the same time each day for consistency.
You may want to read :
Before taking a blood pressure measurement, you should consider to do those thing to get an accurate result.